Official Statement: On the death of Chrysostomos II of Cyprus

 9 November 2022

Greetings,

On Monday, 7 November 2022, we received the news of the death of Chrysostomos II, the former Archbishop of Nova Justiniana and All Cyprus. He was born Irodotos Dimitriou in 1941 and had been the Archbishop since 2006. The reason for his death was intestinal cancer.

As an Archbishop with a sickness myself, I desire to start my statement by highlighting the cause of death. Illnesses can be quite painful and detrimental to both mental and physical health, as expected. None can know the pain one goes through as the pain expands. Therefore, I will lower a flower of sympathy through words. I encourage anyone who is able to donate to cancer funds.

However, it should be known that a person should be remembered for their mistakes as well, for the mistakes shall never be repeated again. I want to underline the existence of rather racist, anti-peace, and homophobic remarks of Chrysostomos. It should also be known that he was involved in the sheltering of a Malaysian conman and fugitive, Jho Low, under a Cypriot passport. I severely condemn his act of using his power and position to aid illegal activity. A real and honourable Archbishop should not take this path.

To make it clear, I am taking his stance on those various issues as the polar opposite of what I will be up to. I am an advocate for peace. My political opinions back AKEL, the pro-unification side; rather than ELAM, the pro-division/racist side. My stance on the LGBT or queer community is accepting. Everyone deserves a home and a loving embrace no matter their gender, romantic and sexual orientation or lack thereof, nationality, religion or lack thereof, political opinion, or any other social and political cleavage.

The passing of the Archbishop has been sudden. Therefore, his position was vacant. To fill the gap, I have helped myself to fill the position.

I am Karl Joseph, taking the name Karolos Yarakios upon taking the position. I want to let everyone know that they have a loving and accepting home here.



My sincere wishes,

The Archbishop of Nova Justiniana and All Cyprus, His Beatitude,

Karolos Yarakios.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Religious Questions #1: On Stoning

Official Statement: To Pope Francis of the Catholic Church